Friday, December 6, 2013

The View from the Cross - According to Saint Matthew


The following is a dialogue between the Apostle Matthew, the Loved One and Jesus, the Beloved. I wrote this poem and reflection based on Matthew's gospel account of the Sermon on the Mount.
 

Matthew:
I enter the garden where it all began, my heart aches for my Beloved.



Beloved:

Where are you Matthew? O scribe most true. You speak to My People, My Beloved Jew.

Matthew:

Your birth, Your baptism I recall.
Then three temptations all.
You sent the enemy reeling.

We learned your precepts from the Mount,
Your commandments we recall.
O Poor, O Mournful, O Meek,
such a peculiar Savior to all.

To hunger and thirst we await on the way,
you wash our hearts pure to the end of our day.
I await the view from the cross, my Beloved.

O Merciful Savior let me show mercy too,
for my life is so empty until I rest in You.
Let me show myself a man at peace,
that my persecutors may rage and Your glory never cease.

O my Beloved I do not deserve You.

Salt and light You call us to be,
so Your Church must shine in our view from the Tree.
You did not come to abolish but to fulfill,
and to show us your kingdom in good times and ill.

O my beloved I have been angry with Thee,
I insulted, and counted my brother worthless to be.
O my beloved I leave my gift at your alter.
I will reconcile quickly while I can still see.
O my beloved, forgive me for I have betrayed Thee.

My own eye betrays Thee, for you know all my thoughts.
Though my actions be faultless, I still suffer loss.
I would remove my eye that I may not sin in what I see.
My hand, O my hand I would sever, that I would not betray Thee.
Though the fires of hell reserve a place for me,
Let it go vacant for all eternity.

A vocation, a beloved sacrament You bind.
No dissolution can sever, our salvation in kind.
You joined them for life, the two became one,
so it shall always be in the Father, the Holy Spirit and the Son.

The two become one, they attain the others destiny,
so my beloved, may it end in heaven with Thee.

Put a watch on my mouth, my beloved,
that my words may be true.
For by Your throne, Your footstool,
Your dwelling place, I trust in You.

Every detail about me You know,
so my yes will be ‘yes’ and my no will be ‘no’.

Beloved:

Resist the one who strikes your right,
the left cheek present for humility and spite.

As the soldier requests that you carry his load,
go the extra mile down the long road.

If one require you to give them your coat,
in lowliness of spirit, give them your cloak.

With hand open to all, refuse no one who asks,
for your Father in heaven grants grace for the tasks.

Though the enemy revile you, please your Father in heaven,
Forgive what they do be it seventy times seven.

He gives good things to all, the vile and the just,
Pray for those who hurt you, do this you must.

Matthew:

So indeed in my worldly profession I disdain,
for indeed I did good for those who loved me the same.
Grant me to love as You love,
and live without blame.


Beloved:

Be perfect, Be perfect, my loved one, and see,
For your heavenly Father is perfect and wants you to be.

Into Your hands, O Father, My spirit I give Thee,
That Cross I once carried, now carries me,
As I pour out my life for all humanity!

If you truly desire to see what I see,
take up your cross and follow Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment