Saturday, March 30, 2013

Life is a Vocation: Part II

Some months ago, I offered a prayer challenge. This was more a challenge for myself than for anybody else. Though I speak very plainly about saying the Rosary or the Liturgy of the Hours, prayer does not come easily to me. From the outside, the rosary seems like a bunch of rote prayers. The Liturgy of the Hours seems like a bunch of page flipping. In the final analysis, the only way to get to heaven is to pray. So what makes up the difference when prayer does not come so easy to us?

I have recently been reading a fascinating book by Fr. Thomas Dubay entitled, “Happy Are You Poor.” In this book Fr. Dubay unveils what truly living the Gospel is about. He emphasizes our detachment from things, which is the meaning of Lent. He gives many wonderful examples of the saints, both married and religious. I hope to share more when I go back through this book again. He also makes the point that true joy is not a matter of sensual pleasure in finite experiences (eating, drinking, etc., etc.) It is a result of our detachment from the world and abiding in Christ. It is a call to live simply and to share with others not just out of our own abundance, but also out of our need. This may sound easy and simplistic. Jesus after all did say that the way was hard and the gate was narrow that leads to life. Prayer is the same way. The distractions of the world and our own sin keep us from being able to pray.

Where is Your Treasure?
When I make the investment of time to say the Liturgy of the Hours and or the Rosary, the more I want to be right with God. The more I want to be right with God, the more I want to go to confession. The more I want to go to confession, the more I want to attend Mass and receive my Lord and Savior in the Holy Eucharist. (Faith) Mass doesn’t seem as long as it used to because I am on God’s time. The more I am on God’s time, the more I want to be with Him for all eternity. (Hope)

A vocation is more than a career or job. Our responsibility to God and our neighbor should out-way any career or job. Pope Francis is showing by his example what it is to live the Gospel. (Love) Living the Gospel takes us out of our comfort zone. We cannot serve God and mammon.

Spiritual Renewal and Deep Reflection.

Lord Jesus Christ, increase in me the virtues of faith, hope and love, that I may ascend to you. Make me holy in Your time. May Christ be seen in everyone that I meet throughout this day until You, Lord Jesus, call me home.

Hail Mary, full of grace the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, JESUS. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Christ Has Risen!

Ave Maria!

Praised be Jesus Christ!

Jesus and Mary, protect and save the unborn!

Pope Francis washes the feet of young prisoners.

No comments:

Post a Comment